You are currently viewing What you need to know about CONSUEL

What you need to know about CONSUEL

What does ‘CONSUEL’ mean?

CONSUEL is the acronym for Comité National pour la Sécurité des Usagers de l’Électricité (which, for anyone still learning French, translates as ‘National Committee for the Safety of Electricity Users’). As the name suggests, this organisation is responsible for giving official approval of an electrical installation, whether that installation is carried out by a homeowner or by a qualified electrician.

There’s also another meaning of CONSUEL; it is used as a label for the ‘Certificate of Conformity’ you receive when the work undertaken has been officially approved. If you’re wondering ‘Do I need a CONSUEL’?, the simple answer is YES, if this is the first time the property will have had an electricity supply. The Certificate of Conformity is Compulsory when looking to connect with an energy supplier. It guarantees the safety of the installation and, therefore, of those living in the dwelling.

The most commonly used form is the yellow one, which applies to domestic electrical installations.

What kind of properties need a CONSUEL?

A Certificate of Conformity is required where there is no existing supply at the property*. For example, if you have purchased a barn and you are converting it to a domestic dwelling, or if the property is a new-build domestic dwelling.

A Certificate of Conformity is not required if you have purchased an older property and there is an existing electricity supply. However, it is prudent to make sure the electrics are safe and compliant, and that the incoming supply is sufficient for your needs. You can find a list of trustworthy electricians who can carry out this kind of work in the Artisan Central directory.

*If you are renovating a property where there is no supply, you can request a temporary meter. This will be available to you right up to the point of connecting your supply to the energy supplier, and is dependent on a Certificate of Conformity. You cannot request connection without it.

Who is responsible for applying for the CONSUEL?

Whoever did the work must apply for a Certificate of Conformity. If you choose to do your own electrical installation you, as the homeowner, must apply for the Certificate of Conformity. It is not unusual for homeowners to do their own installation. However, it must conform to NFC15-100 standard. If a qualified electrician does the installation, the work is installed to NFC15-100 standard, and it the electrician who applies for the Certificate of Conformity.

What is the process for getting a CONSUEL?

Individual Applications

Once your installation is ready, you can apply for a Certificate of Conformity using CONSUEL’s ‘yellow form’. You can do this online via or you can request a paper version of the form by calling 0 821 203 202. Whichever method you choose, you will need to provide certain information in order to create an account.

Around 20 days after you’ve submitted the yellow form, an inspector from the CONSUEL will visit your premises. If your installation is approved, you will be issued with a Certificate of Conformity. You will have the option to receive this by post or to download a copy from your personal space on the CONSUEL website.

If your installation does not comply with the required standards, you will need to correct the work and request a new visit. A certificate of conformity will not be granted until the Inspector is satisfied that the installation complies.

Professional Applications

The electrician then applies for a Certificate of conformity via, but he makes his application via the ‘professionnel’ space. As a qualified electrician, he or she is required to be aware of the rules and regulations surrounding electrical installations, and is also likely to have a number of applications submitted. For this reason, it is likely that an inspection will not be required before the Certificate of Conformity is issued.

Can an electrician get a CONSUEL on my behalf?

The short answer is NO! A qualified electrician cannot submit a request through his ‘professionel’ space on behalf of an individual. If an individual has carried out the electrical installation themselves, the request for Certificate of Conformity must be made by the individual as detailed above. The professional tradesman’s insurance is to insure his work only, not the work of others.

Hire an electrician to do everything for you!

If you’re having second thoughts about doing everything yourself, or just can’t face the thought of running into difficulties and delaying the completion of your new home, why not consider hiring a professional? Yes, it’ll cost you, but it will also save you a lot of hassle and time. Here at Artisan Central, we’ve got a whole list of highly experienced, registered electricians and other qualified and registered artisans. Take your pick!